Friday, November 15, 2013

Year 3, Day # 63 - Yarn for a Shawl

Lately I have been window shopping via Internet for some wool yarn. It is expensive, plus I don't know how much I need for the project I have in mind. So I finally decided to put my future project on hold and watch for yarn at Yard Sales. Today there was a Yard Sale at Nettie Chupp's place. A whole table was spread with needle work of sorts. All of it was clean and in wrappers yet. On that table I found these two skeins of 50% wool, made in Turkey and I knew I got my hands on good quality yarn for fifty cents. 

The two skeins are not the same color, but will blend in well with my project of crocheting a shawl.  Years ago when I had to wear a shawl, a black wool shawl I hated the thing. I saw no reason in wearing one except it was the thing to do in order to be seen as a good Amish woman. And I was just such a woman by outward appearance. Anyway after I left the Plain People I burned the shawl. Now many years later I see the value in having a shawl, especially when you are older and have some aches and pains when the weather changes from hot to cold, like it does here in Sarasota. I don't use the heater much during the winter months unless up north they are having a bitter cold day, then we are also bitter cold to a milder degree. And so I have been aching for a shawl, longing for one to wrap around my shoulders. I don't have to have a shawl but I want one to cuddle in when it gets chilly. Tonight I started crocheting one. The finished shawl is suppose to look like a German Baptist Cape, with the front and back points coming down to my waist. This way I can throw the front points over my shoulders, less they get tangled up on the keyboard or wet when I wash my hands. I just want a crocheted wool shawl for extra warmth and I think the German Baptist type will serve me well.

4 comments:

  1. I think two skeins of yarn should be plenty of yarn for a shawl. I know some of my knitted shawl patterns use one hundred gram ball of sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started crocheting it didn't take me long to realize that I have plenty of yarn and some to spare to make a shawl fro myself.

      Delete
  2. Did you get your shawl finished? I'd love to see a picture of the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I am still crocheting on it. I want to post a picture when it is finished.

      Delete