Saturday, February 6, 2016

#246 Amish Roots

This is just the backside of a Brenneman couple from Letart West Virginia. They were walking around Yoder's Amish Village today. I watched them for a while, I actually studied them in trying to figure out where they could be from. I knew I had seen a similar slat bonnet she was wearing. Finally they walked into Yoder's Gift Shop and with glee I knew I will meet up with them as I was on their porch signing my photo books, calendars and postcards. And so sure enough when they exited the gift shop they walked right up to me and I peppered them with questions of, "Who are you? Where are you from?" When they answered those questions, I piped up and said, "Then your roots are in Somerset PA." The look on his face was priceless. 

 My ancestral connections are in Somerset PA. The Honsa (Indian John) and Nicholas Keim families moved from Somerset PA to Holmes County Ohio in the early 1800's.  I didn't realize how strong my ancestral connections are until after visiting with this couple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment